Wednesday, June 25, 2008

time for change

today i received my "official"
diagnosis from the neurologist.
i have a migraine disorder that causes
stroke like symptoms. thus all the crazy
numbness, etc. that i was experiencing
with the headaches.

so instead of just throwing a bunch of
pills at me (which he did, too) he also
said this is going to require me to make
some changes. the dreaded word, right?
change. ugh. i hate change. especially
when it involves the E word- exercise.
and the H word-healthy. *rolling my eyes*

yet, here i am, at a point where if i am not
willing to make these changes i am CHOOSING
to suffer from these migraines. yikes. that's
a sobering thought. so, as the doc tries to
get my meds regulated, i'm going to try to
do my part.

he said, "Find an exercise you love
to do and do it daily."
i said, "i don't love ANY exercise."
he replied, "then find an exercise
you can TOLERATE and do it!"
so i guess i couldn't get out of that
one. the one exercise that i would
love to do is swim. however, i neither
have a pool nor have access to one.
so, i think we're going to save up for
one. (yeah, i know among the million
other things we can't afford!)

the next BIG issue included under
the healthy umbrella are the NO MOREs.
NO MORE caffeine.
NO MORE aspartame.
NO MORE msg.

okay, not that big of a deal, right?? well,
let's see....did you know that most processed
foods contain msg??? yeah. and did you
know that even CHOCOLATE has
caffeine???!! i know, it should be illegal,
but it does. so, this will be tough.

if you don't care to read my ramblings
and gripes and debbie downer fits....please
stick to my normal blog. cuz from now
on, THIS will be the place for all my
daily lifestyle battles. and hopefully i
will end up pain free as a result. :)

if you dare to share in my misery and
hey, maybe even a victory or two, then
please feel free to browse this blog as well.
and please join me in making your own lifestyle
changes, too. i'm sure this will be interactive
as i will need plenty of advice along
the way. ;) and just think....maybe someday
the shadow i cast will be a smaller one. :)

1 comments:

AJ said...

Sarah ((((((hugs))))))
Sorry- I battled with migraines a while back (not like yours though) and also had to go through lifestyle changes.
As tough as it may be- (caffeine was my hardest one!!!) I did it. no more soda(ever!!!!), no more than 2 cups of joe in the am, (nothing past 10am is my guideline) and tons of water.

and yep, I run, but I love it.
I also have become quite the label reader, and cook from scratch as opposed to processed foods now.

Once in a blue moon, a box of something prepared will sneak into dinner, (out of ease) but it will get easier, I promise!!!!